Documents under consultation
Chain of Custody Certification and Chain of Custody Evaluations
1. FSC-STD-40-004 Chain of Custody Certification V3-0
This standard is the main standard for companies that manufacture, process, or trade in timber and non-timber forest products.
2. FSC-STD-20-011 Chain of Custody Evaluations V4-0
This standard specifies the requirements applicable to certification bodies auditing chain of custody operations.
1. FSC CoC revision crosswalk
This document identifies all the differences between the existing standard and the draft revised standard.
2. Impact assessment of the revised CoC standard
This document contains an assessment of the potential impacts that the revised CoC standard would have on FSC and FSC stakeholders.
3. Report of the second public consultation of FSC-STD-40-004 V3-0 D2-0
This document contains a summary of the key issues raised during the second public consultation and a compilation of stakeholder comments and PSU responses.
4. Recorded webinar about the third public consultation of FSC-STD-40-004
This recorded webinar provides an overview of the proposed changes to the revised FSC-STD-40-004 and explains how stakeholders can participate in this consultation.
How to respond
To better assist our stakeholders, we’ll be using a web-based consultation platform to collect feedback. It is not mandatory to respond to all questions, so if you do not have feedback to provide for a specific question, you can simply skip to the next question.
Click here to access the survey.
15 June to 31 August 2016
The following FSC stakeholders are strongly encouraged to participate in the consultation:
- certificate holders
- certificate applicants
- certification bodies
- members of the FSC
- network partners
- non-governmental organizations
The objective of this process is to review and streamline the chain of custody standard to ensure that it continues to effectively demonstrate that materials and products purchased, labelled, and sold as FSC certified are authentic, and that their associated claims are truthful and correct.
Incorporated into the draft standard are four sections of the FSC-STD-20-011 V4-0 Chain of Custody Evaluations draft standard, which relate to verification requirements for certification bodies. This section describes the rules that certification bodies must abide by when conducting an audit, and can be reviewed at the same time as the draft of FSC-STD-40-004 V3-0.
There are five main changes in the revised draft of FSC-STD-40-004 V3-0 Chain of Custody Certification, detailed below.
- New transaction verification requirements are proposed that would allow certification bodies to verify FSC transactions between certificate holders. It is suggested that certificate holders would go through a risk assessment that will classify them as being part of either high-risk or low-risk supply chains. Those with a high-risk classification will be required to use the FSC Online Claims Platform (OCP), but for the majority of certificate holders, who would be classified as low-risk, the use of the OCP would be optional – although still recommended.
- A change to multi-site rules that allow multi-site certificate holders to have a) credit accounts and b) percentage calculations across several sites.
- Refined credit system requirements, including clarifying credit accounting for assembled products, and an extension of the credit period from 12 to 24 months.
- A reduction in the threshold for FSC-labelled recycled wood products from 85 per cent to 70 per cent (the same threshold that is required for FSC Mix products).
- A merger of advice notes and standard interpretations will be incorporated into the standard.