The latest news and views from FSC, plus related forestry industry updates
The second public consultation on the revised trademark standard ends in two weeks.
Wednesday, 12 April 2017
All stakeholders are invited to comment on the second draft of the Trademark Standard FSC-STD-50-001 – Requirements for Use of the FSC Trademarks by Certificate Holders – through our online Consultation Platform by 30 April 2017. Please remember to submit your comments.
The objective of the revision is to streamline the trademark requirements to enhance and ease the labelling and promotion of FSC-certified products. The revision also addresses Motion 29 and Motion 36 which were passed at the FSC General Assembly 2014.
- A second draft of the revised standard was opened for public consultation on 1 March 2017. The draft includes the following main amendments:
- Introduction of a trademark use management system as an alternative to submitting all intended uses of FSC trademarks to the certification body for approval.
- Removal of some prohibitions, including the one on general promotion if no FSC sales or production have taken place for 12 months.
- Introduction of guidance on how to describe FSC and products with FSC claims.
- Greater flexibility in choosing labelling elements.
- Reduced size requirements for all marks.
- Greater flexibility in the placement of on-product labels.
- Integration in the standard of the advice notes on labelling products from small and community producers (FSC-ADV-50-003) and on the requirements for the use of the ‘Forests For All Forever’ marks (FSC-ADV-50-004).
We encourage all stakeholders to learn more about the revision process and join the open consultation. Your feedback will help us further shape the standard to enhance and ease the labelling and promotion of FSC-certified products.
BACK TO OVERVIEW
Keeping up with all the latest information about forest management and certification can be difficult. That’s why we collect it for you in our newsroom. The newsroom is where you’ll find news from FSC, as well as information about developments in the wider forestry industry. It’s also home to The Root of the Matter, the monthly blog from FSC Director General Kim Carstensen.