The latest news and views from FSC, plus related forestry industry updates
Securing Workers’ Rights in the FSC System: First Labour Solutions Forum
Tuesday, 1 August 2017
FSC organized its first Labour Solutions Forum in Lima, Peru, in July to discuss how best to secure workers’ rights within its system.
During the two-day meeting, the participants developed a set of ideas and recommendations to be further explored:
- complete the report on generic criteria and indicators based on the International Labour Organization’s (ILO) Core Conventions and principles;
- continuously enhance engagement on labour issues among certificate holders, trade unions, government agencies and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) on various dialogue platforms; and
- conduct joint projects between various stakeholders, in particular in audits and on health and safety measures.
One set of recommendations specifically addressed the dispute resolution system, and included:
- strengthening the capacity of all stakeholders to understand the boundaries and scope of the dispute resolution system;
- developing the role of national initiatives in the dispute resolution process; and
- streamlining the system without losing its consistency.
- Report Labour Solutions Forum Meeting July 2017
Participants and conclusions
Forum participants mainly included FSC members such as BWI and its affiliates, participants from Latin America, and representatives of well-known organizations such as ISEAL and ILO that defend workers’ rights.
As the vast majority of the participating FSC members were from the social chamber, future such events will need to gain a more balanced representation of environmental, social, and economic stakeholders. Participants also agreed that these fora should be organized at regional and national levels, after assessing which themes should be addressed at the global, regional, or national levels.
The ideas generated during this forum will potentially be further explored and discussed at the ILO side event planned at the FSC General Assembly 2017 in October.
A detailed report on the Labour Solutions Forum is available here.
BACK TO OVERVIEW
Keeping up with all the latest information about forest management and certification can be difficult. That’s why we collect it for you in our newsroom. The newsroom is where you’ll find news from FSC, as well as information about developments in the wider forestry industry. It’s also home to The Root of the Matter, the monthly blog from FSC Director General Kim Carstensen.