The latest news and views from FSC, plus related forestry industry updates
Southern US Certificate Holders Wanted for Pilot Test
Thursday, 14 February 2019
Under the banner of the New Approaches for Smallholders and Communities Certification project, FSC is looking for four certificate holders in the Southern United States, interested in participating in a pilot test. Participants must submit their applications by 17 March 2019.
The pilot test falls under the Smallholders Access Program (SAP), an initiative by Rainforest Alliance. SAP’s overarching goals are to help smallholders in the Appalachian region participate in the FSC system, improve the forest management in their region, and to increase availability of certified wood from such operations.
The criteria for the selection of the certificate holders are as follows:
- The applicants should be forest management groups, certified according to FSC US national forest stewardship standard and to FSC-STD-30-005 FSC Standard for Group Entities in Forest Management Groups;
- The applicants are located in the pilot area: the Southern and Central Appalachians regions of the US South located across parts of seven states (Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia);
- The applicant group confirms the availability of co-finance;
- The group can identify smallholders (that are not group members) who own private lands where the SAP standard may be implemented.
Participation is also open to any interested certification body. Criteria for the selection of certification bodies are:
- Knowledge and experience in auditing FSC forest management certificate holders and group certificates in the pilot area;
- Availability of co-finance to support the pilot test;
- Having a group certificate holder in the area as a client is preferred, but not essential.
The pilot test will run for two years and will also be coordinated by FSC US and Rainforest Alliance.
For more information and to participate, please check the page dedicated to our New Approaches project.
BACK TO OVERVIEW
Keeping up with all the latest information about forest management and certification can be difficult. That’s why we collect it for you in our newsroom. The newsroom is where you’ll find news from FSC, as well as information about developments in the wider forestry industry. It’s also home to The Root of the Matter, the monthly blog from FSC Director General Kim Carstensen.