FSC CONTROLLED WOOD
Avoiding unacceptable sources
FSC controlled wood is material from acceptable sources that can be mixed with FSC-certified material in products that carry the FSC Mix label.
There are five categories of unacceptable material that cannot be mixed with FSC certified materials:
- illegally harvested wood
- wood harvested in violation of traditional and human rights
- wood harvested in forests in which high conservation values (HCVs) are threatened by management activities (HCVs are areas particularly worthy of protection)
- wood harvested in forests being converted to plantations or non-forest use
- wood from forests in which genetically modified trees are planted.
Controlled wood meets the requirements of the two main FSC controlled wood standards:
- FSC-STD-40-005 V3-1 FSC Requirements for Sourcing FSC Controlled Wood- This standard directs businesses to avoid sourcing material from unacceptable sources.
- FSC-STD-30-010 V2-0 FSC Controlled Wood Standard for Forest Management Enterprises - This standard specifies requirements for forest management enterprises to show that their management practices result in material from acceptable sources.
Revision of the Controlled Wood System – Training and Directive
We have established a training programme to assist our stakeholders in understanding the revised controlled wood standard, which consists of a series of webinars and informational materials.
We want to make the above standard easy to understand and easy for our stakeholders to implement. To make the standard easier to implement, we have combined all advice notes into a single document or ‘directive' (FSC Directive on FSC Controlled Wood). When new advice is approved, this will be added to the directive and the revised document will be reissued.
Informative materials can be downloaded here
- Module 1 - Introduction to the revised controlled wood standard (1).zip
- Webinar 2 - Risk assessment of the origin of material.zip
- Webinar 3 Due diligence and supply chains.zip
- Webinar 4 - Risk mitigation.zip
- Webinar: Changes introduced by V3-1 of the Controlled Wood standard (FSC-STD-40-005)
- Webinar Transcript: Changes introduced by V3-1 of the Controlled Wood standard (FSC-STD-40-005)
- Webinar: The Rules Behind Controlled Wood and the FSC Mix Label (EN + ES)
- Webinar: Implementing the Controlled Wood Standard (EN)
- Webinar: Controlled wood - Data and Description (EN)
- Report: Data On The Controlled Wood System For Controlled Wood Strategy
- FAQ: Controlled Wood Implementation FAQ (EN)
- Webinar series - Implementing the controlled wood standard (EN)
- Strategy for FSC Mix products and controlled wood