Wednesday, 18. September 2013
Consultation on Controlled Wood standards
FSC-STD-40-005 and FSC-STD-30-010
FSC would like to invite you to comment on the first revised draft standards: Requirements for sourcing Controlled Wood (FSC-STD-40-005) and Forest management requirements for Controlled Wood (FSC-STD-30-010).
FSC-STD-40-005 applies to CoC certified Organizations wishing to source Controlled Wood from non-certified suppliers and FSC-STD-30-010 is for Organizations managing the forests supplying Controlled Wood.
This consultation is part of the Controlled Wood revision process to strengthen the Controlled Wood system, implementing the FSC Membership Motion 51 of the 2011 General Assembly and reflects the recently consulted procedure for National Risk Assessment (NRA) development. The revised draft standards were developed by the chamber-balanced Controlled Wood Technical Committee (CWTC) that has been appointed by the FSC Board of Directors to implement the Motion.
FSC-STD-40-005 Requirements for sourcing Controlled Wood
Due to the low prowess of risk specification performed by Certificate Holders, revision of the requirements for risk determination has been recognized as of key importance for overall strengthening of the CW system.
The standard FSC-STD-40-005 has been revised to reflect that the future CW system will be based on National Risk Assessments as the only source of risk determination. Simultaneously, new requirements are aligned with timber legality legislation and introduces a due diligence system for Chain of Custody operations sourcing Controlled Wood.
Given the importance of NRAs in the revised CW system the Technical Committee requested FSC to develop an NRA action plan to streamline NRA development and secure sufficient cover of risk determination throughout the world.
The main goal of the revised standard is to provide Organizations interested in CW certification with clear requirements for sufficient due diligence on how to evaluate Controlled Wood that originates from non-certified suppliers according to risk determination of supply areas provided by National Risk Assessment(s).
Main changes in FSC-STD-40-005
- Clear references to National Risk Assessment and control measures implementation prescribed for specified risk areas.
- Proposed options of sourcing from areas not covered by the National Risk Assessment(s) (unassessed areas)
To simplify the understanding of requirements redundancies are eliminated:
- General requirements are removed as they are already covered by the Standard for Chain of Custody Certification (FSC-STD-40-004).
- The evaluation of FSC Controlled Wood already purchased as verified by another FSC certified Organization is removed as it is already covered by the Standard for Chain of Custody Certification (FSC-STD-40-004). The scope of the Controlled Wood evaluation according to the FSC-STD-40-005 will be limited to evaluation of non-certified suppliers.
- The Directive FSC-DIR-40-005 is being eliminated and relevant requirements of the Directive are incorporated in the revised draft FSC-STD-40-005.
- Trademark requirements for Controlled Wood are removed and will remain only in the standard FSC-STD-50-001 Requirements for use of the FSC Trademarks by Certificate Holders.
FSC-STD-30-010 Forest management requirements for Controlled Wood
Increase in robustness of risk assessment introduced in the National risk Assessment Framework (NRAF) causes the need for inter-alignment of the controlled Wood standards (FSC-STD-40-005 and FSC-STD-30-010). This standard specifies revised Controlled Wood requirements at the Management Unit level. Simultaneously, the standard FSC-STD-30-010 is going to be used as a step towards full forest management certification in the Modular Approach Program (MAP), and therefore requires further alignment with the FSC Principles and Criteria.
Main changes in FSC-30-010
- New standard structure referring to the Principles and Criteria and reflecting revised Controlled Wood requirements for risk assessment. The final content of the FSC-STD-30-010 will consist of chosen International Generic Indicators (IGIs) or relevant indicators of the national standard after IGI transfer, adapted to Controlled Wood. During this revision period, due to the ongoing IGI development, FSC-STD-30-010 only contains the relevant criteria
- Extended scope of application, including MAP, as well as group certification, and
- Exclusion of Forest Management Enterprises which were/are engaged in significant conversion from Controlled Wood certification
Please note, where the CWTC did not reach full consensus, questions or notes have been posed to members and stakeholders for consultation. The most important one is related to options for sourcing from unassessed risk areas dealt with in the FSC-STD-40-005. The main goal associated with the consultation is to seek stakeholder feedback on these questions or notes. Feedback will be carefully analysed and incorporated in subsequent drafts with the aim of meeting stakeholder expectations and further improvement of the Controlled Wood system.
The deadline for comments is 20th November 2013.
We strongly count on your input!
For more information on ongoing consultation and uploading documents, please see related webpages:
Consultation on FSC-STD-40-005
Consultation on FSC-STD-30-010